I have read the requirements and wish to continue to the online application.
*All applications MUST include a Cover Letter and a Resume.
Telecommunicator $17.25 - $22.41/hr
Under the supervision of the director or director designee, telecommunicators are responsible for:
• All incoming telephone calls for service
• Dispatching of emergency and non-emergency units and personnel
• Must be proficient in map reading
• Orienteering and its terminology
• Proficient understanding of modern communications equipment, telephone, computer and paging systems
• Performs records functions and a variety of supportive duties within the department
• Willingness to work any shift, including weekends, holidays and overtime as Barry Central Dispatch is a 24 hour seven day a week operation
Examples of Work
Answer 9-1-1 and dispatch emergency calls and non-emergency calls for service from the public which include:
• Communicate information to the public.
• Receive and refer calls for service.
• Gather and supply information to public safety units by computer, fax, radio, telephone and pager.
• Gives emergency medical instructions via communications equipment accurately per prescribed EMD formats.
• Dispatches fire, medical and law enforcement to emergency and non-emergency incidents.
• Answer routine questions for emergency service staff and dispatch orders from commanders.
• Dispatch non-emergency governmental agencies when needed.
• Perform various computer checks, input and retrieval of pertinent information to assist emergency services staff.
• Maintain accurate records of all calls for service.
Experience and Education
• High school diploma or GED including or supplemented by coursework in data processing.
• Experience in radio or telephone communications systems.
• Prior experience in dispatch or emergency services related work is preferred.
• Must complete training courses in 9-1-1 / central dispatch communications prior to the end of the minimum one year probationary training period.
• Skill to accurately type 30 words per minute.
• Must pass a complete and thorough background investigation.
Characteristics of a Telecommunicator:
The telecommunicator will only be as effective as his or her own initiative and sense of responsibility. Information in the training manual or any other guide will not compensate for carelessness, lack of sincere effort, dishonesty, or disregard of established regulations.
• Desire to be helpful. This includes not only persons who are a pleasure to help, but also individuals who may be demanding, rude, uncooperative, or unpleasant. Telecommunicator must remember that they represent all departments including Central Dispatch, EMS, fire and law enforcement.
• Ability to think clearly and act promptly while under pressure. A telecommunicator must maintain level headedness at all times.
• Ability to speak clearly and distinctly at all times. Along with this, the ability to reduce rambling and disconnected information into accurate and concise messages.
• Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
• The ability to listen.
• An inquiring mind.
• Thorough knowledge of the geography of the jurisdiction covered by all public safety agencies served by Barry Central Dispatch
*Note: A person with a disability or handicap requiring accommodation for completing the application process should notify the
Director as soon as possible.
It is the policy of Barry County Central Dispatch to afford equal employment opportunity regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, marital or familial status, height, weight, disability or handicap. Michigan law requires that a person with a disability or handicap requiring accommodation for employment must notify the employer in writing within 182 days after the need is known..
*Please read before continuing with the application process*
All applications must include a cover letter and resume
Application Deadline is February 15th
IF YOU HAVE AN EMERGENCY, DIAL 911!
You may download and fill out the application, then return it by mail or fax (269-948-3330) including a cover letter and resume.
Alternatively, you may continue to fill out the online application by clicking on the button to the right.